We will understand Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs through this article.
Ruby on Rails and Nodejs both are prominent and popular backend development technologies.
Both the Ruby on Rails and Node js offer a unique set of advantages and disadvantages.
The difficult task is to decide which one you should choose.
To help you make better decisions, this article will guide you and present you with a detailed comparison of node js vs ruby on rails.
Intro: Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is a website development framework.
This framework is written in Ruby Language.
Ruby on Rails supports MVC(Model View Controller) Architecture.
Therefore, it has a default structure for database, web pages, and web services.
Due to its use of the proper software engineering patterns such as DRY( Don’t Repeat Yourself) and CoC(Convention Over Configuration), it has become top choice for businesses. Learn more about it at: Ruby on Rails Backend Development
One of the significant benefits of Ruby on Rails is that it is simple to write and delivers high performance.
Using Ruby on Rails IDE, you can develop best web apps and scale it easily.
Nodejs is a runtime environment.
The main objective of Nodejs is to transfer the users from client-side to server-side.
As a result, machine code is executed swiftly.
Important Differences between Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs
|Ruby on Rails
|It is written in Ruby.
|It is best for database-backed web apps.
|It is best for small scale projects.
|Ruby on Rails is highly recommended for developing fast, large-scale, and complex applications
|Nodejs is highly recommended for building faster applications.
|You need to install gems, generators etc so the process of installation for ruby on rails is tedious.
|Nodejs is easy to install and run.
|It depends on NGINX, Apache, WEBrick, and Cherokee.
|You can build servers independently and manage all the HTTP Requests.
|Ruby on Rails is a server- side framework.
|You can use Nodejs for both the client-side and server-side applications.
|Ruby on Rails Development is lighter and quicker as compared to the Nodejs.
|Nodejs takes more time for deployment and developers will need to find out the modules to integrate.
|It is less popular than nodejs.
|It is quite popular and demand is increasing on a regular basis.
Detailed Differences between Nodejs vs Ruby on Rails on different parameters
The detailed differences between Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs are discussed below. We have covered various parameters for comparison that are essential to know.
Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs Statistics
Ruby on Rails Statistics
- On Github, RoR has garnered more than 47.5k stars and 2.5k watchers, making it a popular choice in the industry.
- In the Computers Electronics and Technology sector, RoR holds a significant share of 6.64% among other industry verticals.
- According to SimilarTech, RoR powers around 394,000 websites in the market.
Node js Statistics
- 51.4% of developers chose Nodejs as their preferred tool in the same year.
- Web application development is the primary use case for 85% of developers who use Nodejs, while 43% of developers use it for regular enterprise-grade apps.
- Over the past decade, there has been a substantial increase in Nodejs discussion, covering nearly 3.5% of questions related to Nodejs on StackOverflow, indicating its growing popularity.
Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs Performance
Ruby on Rails Performance
- It is amongst the fastest backend frameworks.
- It slows down application only in rare cases when traffic scales unexpectedly. Here, you can Outsource Ruby on Rails Development to an experienced ruby on rails development agency and prevent it from happening.
- You can develop an ideal environment for small tasks in Nodejs thus there is no disturbance in the main app.
Nodejs vs Ruby on Rails Scalability
Ruby on Rails Scalability
It is a myth that ruby on rails is not scalable.
The truth is it is scalable, however, you might need to hire expert ruby developers and employ maximum resources.
Furthermore, there might be some difficult challenges that you will need to face in order to scale ruby on rails.
For in-depth understanding of Ruby on Rails Scalability, you must visit our post available for free at: Ruby On Rails Scalability
Moreover, you should also know that Airbnb and Shopify still use Ruby on Rails.
If it were not scalable why would they prefer it over other backend frameworks.
Nodejs is highly scalable.
It is because of the fact that it can break the apps into tiny parts.
Thus, allowing the distinct tasks to be distributed easily.
Furthermore, the I/O model and event-driven model in Nodejs can make your server comfortable to handle multiple requests.
Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs App Architecture
Nodejs App Architecture
Nodejs also has a good app architecture.
It uses single-threaded event loop architecture which allows it to manage a series or multiple requests with high quality performance.
Furthermore, you have two options of architecture in Nodejs.
It supports MVP as well as MVC architecture pattern.
One can also have multiple views for similar data.
You can also avail the benefits as Nodejs as it supports asynchronous interaction of several and multiple components.
Some of the benefits of async architecture for Nodejs are as follows:
- It makes the development process of modules highly flexible and quick.
- You can process multiple concurrent requests at the same time.
- You get the excellent performance of Nodejs.
- You can reduce the time to market the applications using Node js app architecture.
Ruby on Rails App Architecture
Ruby on Rails follows strict Model Views Controller Architecture.
In the model layer, you will provide the data logic.
On the other hand, you will provide the front end in view.
Finally, the controller manages the flow.
As a result of this differentiation of tasks, the decoupling and testing is easier.
Similarly, developers need to do less work as the framework also makes decisions with independence.
Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs Execution
Ruby on Rails Execution
The development in Ruby on Rails is easy to handle and easy to execute.
You can get a lot of tools on the internet for free as well.
Furthermore, it has easy syntax so you can make your development faster.
However, it is now old and there are only a few options available and thus not compete with the latest backend technologies.
Furthermore, you may have to spend a lot of time searching and getting the right solutions to your problems in executing.
Node js vs Ruby on Rails Libraries
Nodejs has a library named Node Package Manager.
It also offers packages and libraries.
Using Nodejs you can prevent code repetition.
Ruby on Rails Libraries
ROR has the package library known as Ruby Gems.
Ruby gems provide you with the standard format for accurate version control and you can use it also for easy installation.
Furthermore, ruby on rails provides modules that are easily reusable.
With this feature, you can break the huge code into the small components which are easily manageable.
Ruby on Rails vs Node js Readability of Code
Node js Readability of Code
Node js has a short learning curve. That means you can learn it easily.
Developers trained in other languages such as C# and Java can also learn Node js easily.
It is also easy to read and understand the code of Node js.
Ruby on Rails Readability of Code
Ruby on Rails has a long learning curve.
It is easy to learn and readability is also great.
There is a large supportive and active community of ruby on rails.
One can easily learn from this community or also get online tutorials and courses.
When and Which one to choose in Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs?
When comparing RoR and Nodejs, RoR excels in projects that require significant CPU power, especially when it comes to handling complex images, videos, and graphics.
This is due to its single-threaded nature, which allows it to handle heavy tasks efficiently.
Although Nodejs is also fast and performs well in terms of generating scripts, it can’t match the speed of RoR.
App speed is a critical factor that favors Ruby on Rails.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for scalability, Nodejs is a better choice due to its cluster module architecture.
It can efficiently process concurrent requests, making it ideal for real-time applications.
Therefore, the choice of framework depends on the project’s specific needs and requirements.
When to choose Ruby on Rails?
- Ruby on Rails is a suitable choice if you want to build social networking platforms that can handle heavy traffic.
- It is also ideal for creating stock exchange platforms that can process fluctuating data with ease.
- Ruby on Rails can help you develop SaaS platforms with plenty of automation and APIs.
- It is a great option for developing eCommerce platforms with various sophisticated options.
- If you plan to execute an MVP within a reasonable budget, Ruby on Rails can be a good fit for you.
- You can effortlessly store, handle, and deliver vast amounts of data to visitors with informational platforms built using Ruby on Rails.
When to choose Nodejs?
- Nodejs can be a suitable choice if you want to develop a performant SPA (single page application).
- For creating a real-time multi-user web app, Nodejs can provide a reliable framework.
- If you wish to create a web app to stream content, Nodejs can offer appropriate solutions.
- Nodejs can be a great option for building browser-based game apps.
- When planning to develop web apps loaded with efficient data processing features, Nodejs can be an ideal choice.
Understanding Pros and Cons of Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs
Ruby on Rails:
- Offers a straightforward and easy-to-learn syntax, making it an ideal choice for beginners
- Has a large and supportive community, with a plethora of resources and documentation available
- Offers built-in features and tools for web development, such as routing, authentication, and database integration
- Promotes convention over configuration, leading to quicker development times
- Known for being highly scalable and efficient for web applications with heavy traffic
- Can be slower compared to Nodejs for certain types of web applications, such as real-time applications
- Limited support for NoSQL databases. Understand about NoSQL at: Introduction to NoSQL
- Can have higher costs associated with hosting and deployment
- Offers a fast and efficient runtime environment, making it an ideal choice for real-time applications
- Has a large and active community, with a wide range of libraries and modules available
- Offers non-blocking I/O, allowing for greater scalability and performance for web applications with heavy traffic
- Offers greater flexibility in terms of database integration, with strong support for both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Can be less expensive to host and deploy compared to Ruby on Rails
- Lacks built-in features and tools for web development, leading to longer development times
- Can lead to “callback hell” in more complex applications, where multiple nested callbacks can become difficult to manage
- Requires additional modules or libraries for certain features, which can add complexity to the development process
Popular Companies and Brands using Ruby on Rails vs Nodejs
It’s worth noting that both Ruby on Rails and Nodejs are widely used by numerous companies and brands for their web development needs.
Here are some examples of companies using Ruby on Rails:
Ruby on Rails:
Here are some examples of companies using Nodejs:
Nodejs vs Ruby on Rails: Comparing Future Development and Prospects
When considering which web development framework to use, it’s important to take into account its potential for future development and long-term prospects.
Ruby on Rails and Nodejs have different approaches to future development, which can impact their popularity and relevance in the coming years.
Ruby on Rails:
- A mature and stable framework that has been around for over a decade.
- Consistent approach to development, with a focus on stability and backward compatibility.
- New releases are not as frequent as some other frameworks, but updates are carefully planned to avoid breaking existing applications.
- Slower rate of growth in terms of adoption and community contributions in recent years.
- Popular choice for web development, especially for startups and small businesses.
- A relatively new framework that has gained a lot of popularity in recent years.
- Highly active and engaged community, with frequent updates and new releases.
- Well-suited for building real-time applications and has become a popular choice for IoT and microservices development.
- Popularity and usage have been steadily growing over the past few years, and it is expected to continue to do so in the future.
- Both Ruby on Rails and Nodejs are expected to remain relevant in the coming years.
- Their relevance may differ depending on the specific needs of a project.
- Ruby on Rails is well-suited for building web applications quickly and efficiently, while Nodejs is better suited for real-time applications and microservices development.
- As the web development landscape continues to evolve, both frameworks are expected to adapt and remain important players in the industry.
- Both Ruby on Rails and Nodejs are open-source frameworks.
- They are maintained by a community of developers who contribute to their development and growth.
- This allows for a greater degree of flexibility and customization, and ensures that the frameworks will continue to be relevant and useful for years to come.
To conclude, each of these backend frameworks has its strengths and is suitable for different project types. Ruby on Rails is a great choice for teams that prioritise speed, especially in MVP and SaaS development. On the other hand, Nodejs is the preferred choice for developing real-time web applications.
If you’re a startup or a small business, it’s important to evaluate your business model and seek advice from industry experts to understand the advantages and disadvantages of both Ruby on Rails and Nodejs. While both frameworks can deliver similar results, Rails is the better option for fast-paced development. Keep in mind that neither the framework nor the language is crucial; what matters is proper execution and knowledge during application development.